Diwali 2016, Ambala, Haryana, India

On: 2016-11-06

 Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights, is celebrated with candles, light strings, lanterns, sweets and a whole lot of firecrackers. The last aspect is a relatively new one and a somewhat controversial one as it produces noise pollution, smoke and garbage. I've never liked firecrackers. Now I'm not going to lie - I like loud explosions - I just feel more satisfaction when there is a direction and an obvious result. I find roller derby, demolition derby, target shooting and watching fireworks all very satisfying. A loud bang I can't place is just disconcerting. Kind of like the big muffled whump that went off to the rear left of the 737 I was recently flying from Delhi to Pune in. Nothing happened except a girl who beside me who pulled her hoodie down over her head and kneaded her fists in her eyes and minutes later the seat belt sign was extinguished. Nonetheless I was on edge for the rest of the flight. Anyway, I digress.

This is how I dress in India...
Diwali was lovely, sugar sweet and there were some entertaining buzzers and fireworks to enjoy between the juvenile ordnance display that made my ears ring. I was the lucky guest of the Bhanot family who live in Ambala, just south of Chandigarh. They invited me into their beautiful home designed by Aman's older sister and fed me great vegetarian food and generally treated me like a king.

The following day I went for a run around the neighborhood and then we took a van up to Kasauli, a little place in the hills (Indians refer to it as a hill station) on the way to Simla. It's in the state of Himachel Pradesh. I love that name.



0 comments on "Diwali 2016, Ambala, Haryana, India"