Turmeric

On: 2014-11-11

Curious kids want me to take their photo.
Jejuri Khandoba Temple is a 45km (2 hour) drive from where I live, a few kilometers outside of Pune to the east on Solapur road on the DSK campus. Last Sunday a colleague, his cook, a driver and myself took the trip up onto the plateau to the southeast where the temple lies atop a rock outcropping a couple of hundred stone steps above the small city of approximately 12,000.

I won't attempt to explain what the precise
A demure lady offered a photo opportunity and blessing.
religious meaning of the temple holds for devotees but the mood is infectiously joyous. Groups included the old, the young, families, couples, people on their own and a (very) few western tourists. I carried a large camera and several people approached me and asked me to photograph them. Others wanted a photograph with me - sometimes parents wanted to take a photo of me with their children. Often groups of young men approached me, one such group posed smiling widely while one of them gave me the finger.
He asked me if I would stand with him for a photo.
One man was clearly unhappy that I was taking photos. I asked him if he wanted me to stop and he said that it was okay, although he was obviously put out. As everyone else was also taking photos - including many who were taking photos of me - I continued. One reassuring cultural exchange was a photo shootout when I noticed a young man taking a photo of me and I raised my camera and took his photo back. 'Nice!' he exclaimed appreciatively as we both laughed.

Temple lunch
The unique aspect of this temple is turmeric. Little cloth bags of it, along with small, soft coconuts are sold everywhere. The stone steps and the courtyard are blanketed with a thick layer of yellow dust. Adults and children fling hand-fulls into the air and priests smear it on your forehead. I was shown where I was to leave an offering of marigolds, paan and turmeric at several alters, including Shiva and a cow. Although the spice is in the air, covers your clothes, hair and camera, it is a surprisingly
Turmeric yellow at Khandoba temple
innocuous substance, neither inducing sneezing nor particularly pungent, yet covering every surface with a pollen like, golden dust.

2 comments on "Turmeric"

Jason in Canada. said...

E!

What wonders and exotic delights you bring to the table today! Sadly, my envy only grows as you adventure and I settle.

Turmeric? Well, as it so happens this also popped up in my travails lately: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/one-dose-kitchen-spice-improves-brain-function

Not as exciting as your pictures but at least you can get some sense of the value, the brilliance and the ancient knowledge these people have that we hubris-filled Westerners seem to just be catching up with...

More! More!

Unknown said...

Yes, I agree with Jason! More More:)