Film making made easy

On: 2010-08-20

"To me, the great hope is that now these little 8mm video recorders and stuff will come out and some people who normally wouldn't make movies will be making them and suddenly one day, some little fat girl in Ohio is going to be the new Mozart and make a beautiful film with her father's little camera-corder, and for once the so-called professionalism about movies will be destroyed forever and it will become an art form."
— Franics Ford Coppola in the 1980s

Somewhere between hardworking artisan and creative genius, striving to escape the gravitational pull of mediocrity, using riveting images to tell compelling stories, seems like a goal to aim for. What I like about the quote is the emphasis on movie making as art and the trumping of technology and money by personal vision. What I don't like about the quote is it makes it seem like the accidental genius is the obvious end product of the tools becoming accessible and I don't think I agree with that. I think it's great to be able to make beautiful films for little money, but learning to use the tools is still going to take dedication and practice.

0 comments on "Film making made easy"